1. Read to your child as often as you can.2. Talk about books / characters / plots.
3. Enrol your child in the local library.
4. Provide a good role model by reading yourself / other family members.
5. Keep audio tapes of familiar stories to play in the car.
6. Vary the type of books read – stories / poems / information.
7. Accept your child’s efforts with praise.
8. Concentrate on what he /she got right.
9. Make reading together enjoyable.
10. Take part in school based initiatives like ‘Shared Reading’.